The History of Homefield Park Bowling Club
Founded in 1927 as flat green bowling club originally located in Homefield Park (the Peoples Park).
1904 Mr W George and ten other Worthing residents wrote to the Council requesting a bowling green in
Homefield Park. The Council agreed to provide a green for play with an estimate of £85.
1905 Bowls started in Worthing at a cost of 3p/hour or 10/6p for the season.
1907 Worthing bowls club was founded on April 17th.
1910 The Council agreed to a clubhouse, but the club was to provide it at a cost of £32.00.
1922 Worthing Council purchased Beach House and it's 10 acres of ground for £8,250.
1924 The two bowling greens to the East were laid for £1,929.
1925 The pavilion was built for £3,029. Worthing bowling club played a representative match to mark
the opening of the greens.
1927 Homefield Park bowling club was formed.
1929 A third bowling green was added in the North West corner at a cost of £425.00
1934 A fourth bowling green was laid in the South West corner at a cost of £414.
1935 The West Pavilion was built
1941 Enemy bombs damaged the two North greens.
1967 A fifth bowling green was laid to the North of the pavilion at the cost of £8,759.
1971 Homefield Park bowling club moved to Beach House park to allow for building of an extension
to Worthing Hospital. Work started on a new pavilion for the 1972 World Bowls championship.
2012 Worthing Ladies bowling club join Homefield Park bowling club with infusion of County, National and
2014 Member of Homefield Park wins Gold at the Commonwealth games in Glasgow.